photo HEADER2_zpsztxreyz7.png

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chocolate PB Sandwich Cookies


I am so excited about these cookies! I mean, what could be better than the chocolate pb combo?!? Peanut butter is one of those food that I eat everyday {no joke}.  Usually with celery, and this is all thanks to my South Beach Diet bender I did last year... When I am at work I look forward to it all 1st period {I am a teachers not a high school-er}, because it is always my second period snack.  I am definitely stuck in my ways a creature of habit. I made these cookies using this fabulous Gooey Lemon Cookie Recipe.  I am a little proud of myself, because I made up this recipe all by myself {for the most part :)}.    

You will need:


Cookies:
1 Box Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
6-8 oz Frozen Whipped Topping {softened}
1 Egg
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Powder Sugar {for rolling}

Cookie Directions:

1.  In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, whipped topping, egg, and vanilla.  Beat at medium speed until well combined.  The original Lemon recipe only used 6 oz {3/4 of an 8 oz container} of whipped topping, but for some reason this was not enough for this recipe.  I kept adding whipped topping until it reached a better consistency.  

2.  Fold in chocolate chips.  

3.  Using a cookie scoop, drop dough into a bowl of powder sugar {I usually do 4 at a time}.  Roll the dough until it is completely covered with powder sugar.


4.  Using your hands roll the dough to make a perfect ball {yes, perfection is necessary...jk this helps the cookies to come out not so flat}.


5.  Place chocolate ball on a cookie sheet a couple inches apart from each other.


Bake for 13-16 minutes or until the cookies look cooked in the middle.


Allow cookies to cool on a wire rack for 2 minutes before moving them to a plate.  Make sure cookies are completely cool before adding the frosting. For the frosting you will need:


Frosting:
{modified from THIS recipe by Suzanne Stull}
***Warning:  This makes more icing than you need for the cookies so either find a neighbor or a hungry squirrel to eat the rest...it is way too addicting to go in the frig.  Or maybe I have no self control?

1/2 cup Butter {room temperature}
1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1/4 tsp Vanilla
2 to 2 1/2 Cups Confectioners Sugar
4-6 TBSP Cream {you can also use milk}

Frosting Directions:

1.  Holy Moly this might be my favorite frosting of all time...This is not an exaggeration, and no I am not being dramatic.  Beat butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy.

2.  Added 1/2 cup of powder sugar , and mix until well combined.  With the mixer still running add 1 TBSP of cream.  Scrape down the edges and repeat.  The original recipe says to use 4 cups of powder sugar, but I liked the flavor of only 2 cups.  So the next step is VERY IMPORTANT...test your frosting after each 1/2 cup powder sugar, and TBSP of cream until the flavor is perfect for you.  You can keep adding more powder sugar {and cream} until is tastes exactly how you want it.  I wanted the frosting to be thick, because it was going between two cookies. 

3. Using an icing dispenser {or a spatula} apply icing to the bottom of one cookie.  Then make your sandwich! I was very happy with how they turned out!


I wish I could say the same for my shoes {this neeeeever happens while I cook ;)}...


Enjoy!


{Leslie}

2 comments:

  1. Sweet mother these look amazing. My aunt is lindy stone. She had turned me on to your blog. Tomorrow I'm trying the oatmeal wufh apples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Caroline! I love Lindy! Oatmeal with apples is one of my favorite meals...it is extra good if you add a little bit of peanut butter! I have that for dinner sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...