photo HEADER2_zpsztxreyz7.png

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lemon Bars



I don't know about ya'll, but something about spring makes me want to eat lemon desserts.  If I am being honest, then I also like desserts with strawberries... blackberries... bananas... dark chocolate... peanut butter... well you get the picture.  I might have a sweets problem.  This Lemon Bar recipe is from the oh so fabulous Ina Garten.  You can find her full recipe {here}.  This recipe pretty stinkin' fabulous, and I think the lemon flavor is just perfect.  The only thing I would do differently next time is to make sure I bake it long enough...mine was a little too gooey in the middle (I didn't really mind eating the center pieces with a spoon...).  I halved the original recipe, because bikini wearin' season is around the corner {my pool is calling my name}.  I also can't count on Tall Tan Man eating more than one bite.  I really don't get how he doesn't love sweets.


You will need :


Crust:

  • 1/4 pound butter {room temperature}
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • A pinch of kosher salt

Filling:

  • 3 large eggs {room temperature}
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoons grated lemon zest {get 4 lemons to be safe}
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice {use the same lemons}
  • 1/2 cup flour

  • Powder Sugar, for making it look pretty

{accidentally put 2 sticks of butter out...}

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and grease an 8 by 8 inch pan.  In an electric mixer combine butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Add the flour and salt and mix until somewhat combine {it will look like the picture below}.  Dump the ingredients onto a floured surface...




With floured hands work the dough until it magically turns into this {yes you can do this}...




Press dough into pan, and make sure it goes up a half inch on all sides:




Let the crust chill for five minutes in the refrigerator.  Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is slightly brown.  Place on a cooling rack when done.  


In the meantime let's make the filling!  Whisk together all the filling ingredients, and BAM you just made the filling.  Now I am going to be honest...This step takes no time while the baking the crust/allowing it to cool takes a lot longer.  I was a little annoyed with all the waiting {guess I need to pray for patience}.  So I put the filling in the frig, and ran to red box to pick up some movies {I really loved Crazy Stupid Love}.  By the time I got home the crust was cool enough for me, and I added the filling on top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes {make sure it is cooked in the middle!}. 

Allow the lemon bars to cool to room temperature before you cut. You can cut square bars or triangles. Sprinkle with powder sugar...




So yummy...I already want to make these again.  :)



Hope ya'll have a great weekend!  I am on SPRING BREAK!!! What what!  I am so thankful that my career still has spring break.  My goal over the next week is to SLEEP...work on a couple home projects...work on my tan{go away rain}...maybe blog a little...try some new recipes...I bet your jealous.  I also get to hang out with this guy.  


If your jealously did not increase 10 fold we can't be friends.  

{Leslie}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...