photo HEADER2_zpsztxreyz7.png

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Enchilada Soup


This recipe sums up some of my favorites things when it comes to food: Mexican... crock pot ... easy... and healthy.  The {Skinny Taste} blog is my go to food blog when I am wanting to try something new.  Do not get me wrong, I will always love Paula Deen, and I am not always a healthy eater. Unfortunately, my love handles quickly become too much to handle when I eat poorly.  I am also being a little more mindful of what I am eating right now, because my cruise is in less than ONE MONTH!!!  I cannot wait.  :)  If you would like to follow the Skinny Taste directions you can find them {HERE}. This soup has approximately 260 calories for 6 servings {which includes a pinch of reduced fat cheddar cheese}.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 3 cups chicken broth {low sodium fat-free}
  • 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 tsp chipotle chili in adobo sauce
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups frozen corn
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 8 oz skinless chicken breasts {16 oz total}
Directions:

Heat oil in large sauce pan.  Add garlic and onion.  Saute for 4 minutes until they have softened.  


 Slowly pour chicken both.  


Add the tomato sauce...


Next is the 2 tsp of Chili in Adobo Sauce.  You can find this in the Mexican food section of your local grocery store.  It is a little pricy for just using 2 tsp...I put the leftovers in a rubbermade in the freezer, and it easy to scape some out when I want to use it! 

Bring chicken broth to a boil then add the cilantro...I love cilantro.  Too bad my patio is just a 5ft by 5ft slab of concrete or I would grow some. 


Pour chicken broth into the crock pot.  Thank you Tall Tan Man for taking this picture, and hanging balloons in my apartment {I thought ya'll might be wondering what the big white thing was in the picture:) }.


Drain and rinse the black beans.  Add to crock pot.

Add the diced tomatoes. 


Add your frozen corn and cumin.  If you wanted this dish to be lower carb/sugar you could omit the corn. 


Lastly, add the chicken to the crock pot, and head to the pool.  Allow soup to cook on low for 4-6 hours. I cooked mine for 5:30 hours then took the chicken out, shredded it, and added it back to cook for 30 more minutes.  I like to make this Sunday after church for dinner, and since it is just me it is also a great lunch for my work week. 


Hope your enjoying the long weekend!  I'm headed to apply some aloe... 

{Leslie}



2 comments:

  1. I am definately going to make this. Yum yum.
    Looks delicious. Was Tall Tan Man there to take the pic and hang balloons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!! I actually forgot about this recipe...haha I made it when he was in town in February...When I made the soup again last weekend, and I realized I never blogged it :) Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...