photo HEADER2_zpsztxreyz7.png

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Turkey Enchiladas


Whhhattt, I am eating something besides cereal or soup that I made in a crock pot?!?!  What is going on with me?!?  Who am I?!? Oh that's right, I had a four day weekend.  I'm so wild woman.  I cook enchiladas with my free time.  haha These oh so fabulous Turkey Enchiladas are based of this {Chicken Enchilada} recipe from Skinny Taste. Do not be intimidated by all the ingredients... I bet you already have most of them!  This dish is pretty spicy, but I might of added an extra 1/2 tsp of chili on accident #flusteredcook.  I love spicy food so they are perfect.  If you do not loooove spicy foods then you might want to reduce the chili in adobo to 1 tbsp {sauce}, and only 1/2 tsp chili powder {turkey}.

Ingredients:

Sauce:
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce {with the Mexican food} 
  • 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
  • kosher salt and pepper to taste
Ground Turkey:
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 10 oz Ground Turkey {I bought 20 oz and froze half}
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 2 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce {I used little bit less, because the can I bought was only 15 oz and the sauce needs 1 1/2 cups}
  • 1/4 cup cilantro
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • kosher salt
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • 6 (7-inch) reduced carb whole wheat flour tortillas (la tortilla factory)
  • 1 cup shredded pepper jack

Sauce Directions:


As you can see I keep my chili in adobo in the freezer.  I first froze it to not be wasteful, but turns out I use it a lot more than I expected.  Spray a medium sauce pan, and saute the minced garlic.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat, and allow sauce to simmer for 15 minutes.


While sauce is simmering begin browning your turkey.  Just continue your multitasking, and chop up your onion, garlic, and cilantro. Once your sauce is done, remove from heat and set aside. 


Once the turkey is done place on plate with a paper towel. 


Add olive oil to the same pan you were browning your meat in, and saute onion and garlic for two minutes {medium heat}.  Reduce the heat.  Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, kosher salt, and 10 oz cooked turkey.  Return to medium heat, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.  It's tortilla time!  I have found these tortillas at most grocery stores, and Walmart {not target :( }.


Grease your 8 by 8 inch pan.  Using a 1/3 cup, spoon meat onto the tortilla.  


 Roll the tortillas, and place them seam face down. 


Cover with sauce.


Grate some very fabulous cheese {I am currently obsessed with pepper jack}.  Lets be honest, freshly grated cheese isn't even comparable to already grated cheese.
  

Sprinkle cheese on top.  


Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.  This next picture is somewhat deceiving... The enchiladas were too good to just eat one.  Serve with black beans and/or Spanish rice.  I ended up with 6 total enchiladas {the original recipe was suppose to be 8...oops?}.  Gina, from Skinny Taste, said each enchilada has 160 calories.  I am not quiet sure how much this would change by using ground turkey.    


Have a great rest of your week!!! I have two more days with students AND my BIRTHDAY is tomorrow AND I get to see TALL TAN MAN in FIVE DAYS!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

{Leslie}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...