photo HEADER2_zpsztxreyz7.png

Friday, July 6, 2012

Chocolate Sheet Cake


This Chocolate Sheet Cake is not just another recipe to me.  This is the recipe my Grandmother used when I was growing up.  To be honest I am not sure if this is her original recipe.  After doing some searching online I found a couple {pioneer woman's included} that  were very similar, but none that were exactly the same.   Hands down this is my favorite chocolate cake, and I might even go as far in saying this is my favorite chocolate dessert.  My Grandmother passed away in 2008 of Alzheimer's, and you might think your Grandma is the best cook in the world but your wrong {I admit, I am a little biased}.  I have so many memories of my Grandmother, but the ones that stand out the most involve food.  Either in the kitchen or around the dining table.  It is hard not having both of my Grandmother around.  I would like to think they would help domesticize {yes, that's a word} me, and be there when I can't figure out what I am doing with me life.  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.  :)  Here is what you will need:  

Cake



Cake Ingredients: 

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 stick butter
  • 4 TBSP unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup water

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease sheet cake pan.  

2.  In a large bowl, sift together sugar, flour, and salt.  

3.  In another bowl combine buttermilk, soda, vanilla, and eggs. 

4.  Using a sauce pan bring butter, cocoa, oil, and water to a slight boil. 

5.  Add chocolate mixture to the flour bowl, and stir until smooth.  This allows time for the chocolate to cool down before adding the eggs :)No one wants scrambled eggs in their cake.


6.  Add buttermilk mixture, and stir until well combined.  

7.  Pour batter into cake pan, and bake for approximately 30 minutes. 

Now go put your feet up!  You just worked really hard making the most deliciously perfect cake.  With about 10 minutes left on the timer I start making the frosting.  You will want to frost the cake while it is still warm.  

Frosting




Frosting Ingredients:

  • 4 cups powder sugar
  • 1 stick butter
  • 3 TBSP cocoa
  • 1/3 cup half and half {or evaporated milk, whoops...I wasn't going back to the store for half and half}
  • 1 tsp vanilla

1.  Measure your powder sugar into a medium mixing bowl, and set aside. 

2.  Bring butter, cocoa, and half and half to a boil.  Add vanilla and stir. 

3.  Pour chocolate into powder sugar, and whisk until smooth.  

4. Ice cake warm. 


You might want to think about serving this with some yummy vanilla ice cream...


I would be trouble if I didn't tell ya'll that I went to be bed with a stomach ache the night I had this...It is hard to practice self control with Grandmother's Chocolate Sheet cake.  I didn't care, it was sooooo worth it!

{Leslie}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...