photo HEADER2_zpsztxreyz7.png

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Snickerdoodle Cake



 Well hello there!  If you are a sucker for cinnamon this cake is most definitely for you.    I am unfortunately a sucker for everything sweet which dictates my time on a treadmill.  I will gladly add 10 minutes to my workout to eat an extra sliver of cake {I bet it should really be 20 but whose counting?}.  I first had this cake many years ago, and it came from my Cake Doctor Cookbook.  You should definitly check out the Cake Doctor, she is awesome!  I love it!  I followed the cake batter closely, but took out some of the butter/milk out in exchange for yogurt.  I still loved the cake. The icing is the real star of this cake.  Beware you might have a stomach ache from your inability to stop licking the bowl...


Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 box white cake mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup milk {I used 2%}
  • 1/2 stick butter {room temp}
  • 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp cinnamon

1.  Grease 2 - 8 inch cake pans, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

2.  Using your mixer, combine everything from the cake mix to Greek yogurt.  Make sure to scrape down the edges, and mix until everything is well combined. 

3.  With mixer running add vanilla and the delicious cinnamon.  {I prefer to keep the mixer running, if this cause you to have a panic session just stop the mixer and add ingredients}


How beautiful is that?!?


4.  Equally distribute batter into cake pans.  Do not fret.  This cake will rise A LOT. 


5.  Bake for 18 - 30 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.  The original recipe said 25 - 30 minutes, but thankfully I set my timer for 20 minutes.  The cake was probably done at 18 minutes.  :)


6.  I wait until the cake is cool enough for me to touch before I remove from them from the pan. 


Aren't they pretty?  Always a sweet victory when the cakes come out clean!!!


7.  Allow cake to cool COMPLETELY {time to practice patients} before you ice.  I'm not joking.  COMPLETELY.  Do I need to say it again? haha just kidding.  Well, I'm not kidding about the cooling just the yelling.  :)

Icing Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter {room temp}
  • 5 3/4 cups powder sugar
  • 4 - 5 TBSP milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon


1.  Mix butter until it becomes light and fluffy.  

2.  Add one cup of powder sugar and one TBSP milk at a time.  If your icing seems to liquid-y then don't as much milk.

3.  Add vanilla and cinnamon.   Mix until well combined. 

Alright it is time for my extremely amateur tips on icing a cake.  I think I see a cake decorating classes in my future.  I put a little dab of icing in the middle of the plate to hold the cake down. 


I ice the top of the bottom one first. 


Fill in the gaps. 


Next I ice the top then the sides.  

ooooooh


aaaaaaaah


Have a great Friday and weekend!  

{Leslie}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...