photo HEADER2_zpsztxreyz7.png

Friday, July 13, 2012

The Perfect Vanilla Ice Cream



Last week I made my Grandmother's fabulous {Chocolate Sheet Cake}, and like usual I served it with Vanilla Ice Cream.  I had some free time, so I decided to put my ice cream maker to work.  Thanks to my Mom I have the Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Bowl Attachment.  I love it, and totally reccomend it! 


Well, soon is now.  I love this recipe, because it is so simple, easy, and takes few ingredients.  I used {this} recipe from the Food Network chef, Alton Brown, with some minor changes.  Here is what you need:


As you can see this is not a low calorie dessert.  I think all my hanging out at the pool is burning enough calories to compensate...

Ingredients:

2 cups half and half
1 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup sugar*
1 tsp vanilla

* I have never had the thought, this dessert is too sweet, but my Tall Tan Man did say this ice cream was a little too sweet for him.  He also could go a month without dessert, and not bat an eye.  With all this being said, you can reduce the sugar to 2/3 cup if you would like.  

Directions:

* Unfortunately, this is not a "spur of the moment" recipe.  Make sure you have 20ish hour to make this.  No, you will not be working the entire time...

1.  In a medium sauce pan bring half and half, whipping cream, and sugar to a slight boil {medium heat}.  If you have a candy thermometer this is 170 degrees.  Make sure to stir occasionally, and be very careful not to burn mixture!

2.  Remove from pan.  Stir in vanilla.  

3.  Allow mixture to sit for a little while before placing in an air tight container.  Refrigerate overnight.  Also, make sure you are taking proper steps to get your ice cream maker ready.  I have to freeze mine overnight.  :)

4.  In the morning-ish, make your ice cream according to your ice cream maker directions.  *if you are using the KitchenAid attachment make sure you set mixer to stir before pour the mixture in.  

5.  Once ice cream is done, place in freezer safe container.  I froze my ice cream for 8 hour before serving.  If you don't have this much time your ice cream will still taste phenomenal, but it wont scoop quiet like I have pictured.


I wish I still had some left...


Hope you are having a great summer!!!  I am enjoying this ridiculously "cool" Texas summer.  :)

{Leslie}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...